"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." -Mary Anne Radmacher -checktheshades
Throwback Thurday. Prom. Graduation. "The past is a great tool to prescribe what is needed for your tomorrows & propagate your dreams of the future."
"Climb your own ladder or you dig your own hole." -Cole -checktheshades
Check out my shades tribute to J.Cole in honor of his birthday at checktheshades.com.
Don't be afraid to dream big. A journey of a thousand miles starts with one footstep.
Life is like an elevator, on your way up, sometimes you have to stop and let some people off.
Life is like an elevator, there are ups and downs, but in the end you control which direction it goes.
Life is like an elevator.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." Aristotle -checktheshades
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -Milton Berle -checktheshades
"Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what? Get started now! With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful." -Mark Victor Hansen -checktheshades
Had to put this outfit back on today in honor of my basketball senior day (January 22, 2013) because everything I've learned in life came from the game. Heart and hustle will take you anywhere you want to go, just give me 6 years and I'll show you. #Operation2020
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." -Christopher Columbus -checktheshades
1. Was born Michael King.
2. Attempted suicide after the death of his grandmother.
3. Skipped 2 grades and left for college before formally graduating high school.
4. Received a bachelors degree at age 19.
5. Wanted to become a doctor or lawyer at first.
6. Spent his honeymoon in a funeral parlor.
7. Was stabbed by a mentally ill woman.
8. Was a Star Trek fan.
9. Tapped by the FBI.
10. Despite rumors there is no evidence he had Communist ties.
11. Improvised the ending of the I Have A Dream speech on spot.
12. Youngest male to win Nobel Peace Prize.
13. Howard Thurman was one of his mentors.
14. Advocated against the Vietnam War.
15. Won posthumous Grammy and Medal of Freedom.
16. Favored partial reparations.
17. House was bombed.
18. Mother was assassinated as well.
19. His heart was 20 years older than him.
20. MLK Day is celebrated it two other countries.
21. Influenced by a trip to India.
22. Name is one more that 700 streets.
23. Idea of MLK Day was very divisive at first.
24. All 50 states didn't observe MLK until 2000.
25. Only U.S. citizen who never held office to have a holiday named after him.
26. Wanted to marry a white cafeteria worker.
I'll stop at 26 because 2+6=8. Happy MLK Day.
Final day. Conference was absolutely amazing in multiple amount of ways. Staff voted me Rising Star. Just glad to do my part. What's up #SBSLC2015? #SBSLC2014 -checktheshades
We have been going for literally 20 hours straight and most of us have had little to no sleep, but it's okay bc we do it for the people. #SBSLC2014 -checktheshades
It was great to see people from all over the states come out and participate in our conference. Glad to be apart of the staff.
1/16 1:16, today marks exactly two years since my bestfriends and I were in a car wreck. I didn't know it at the time but that was the day that would later change my vision forever. The date 1/16 leads me to believe that God wanted us to pay more attention to Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is God's power for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Kheera, Justice, Riah, Taryn, throughout the day look at how far you've come since 1/16/12, use this day to thank God for all he has done and all he's going to do, and then take the time to listen to what he has to say. I'm thankful because I used to look at the wreck as a scar for so long, but today, two years later, God changed my vision and now I realize that it's not about what happens to you in life, but about you're vision and they way you look at what happens to you in life.
It's the first day of school, or so they tell me. "The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows." -Syndey J. Harris
Had to say "see you later" to my Costa Rican Parent today, she told me to come back to Costa Rica and sell my shades.
Painted the kids houses today. These kids don't even eat everyday, yet they're the happiest kids you'll ever meet. Be thankful for what you have.
Pura Vida: this is the contry's most unique and popular phrase and one of the most important phrases, which is used as a positive response in all type of situations. -checktheshades
They always say the sky is the limit but when I'm amongst the clouds I feel like I can go so much further than just the sky. The sky is not good enough I must surpass it, I have no limit. "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." -Les Brown
If I shall die before they wake, I pray the Lord my shades are safe.